Sunday, June 6, 2010

Story

So today, for the Sermon, I was emphasizing the wonderful gift that the Gospels are because they're more than "just" History but they're Story. What I mean is, in a time and place when stories really resonate with people, what a blessing that the Gospels fit that genre. You see, I love the Lord of the Rings books, and the Harry Potter books, and Watership Down is one of my favorite books of all time. Those stories strike me, they change me even. They affect how I see courage, and brotherhood, and Faith. Are those stories true? Not factually, of course, they're fiction. But what they say is really true to me.
The Gospels work on a similar level, only better. Because those stories also change me and affect me. When I read them for the "facts" I find that pretty interesting. But when I just read them, as stories, that's when they really come alive. And, in the case of the Bible stories, they really are true, factually as well as subjectively. What a gift. I hope you get a chance to read one of your favorite Bible stories this week. And enjoy it as a story. Who knows how it might change you.

Don't go to church, Be the church!

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment