Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dads and Quail


So, there's been a family of quail that have lived outside of my office for the better part of the last year. Not being a hunter, I don't really know that much about quail, but seeing this family nearly every week for months, I've observed something about their behavior. The dad of the family is very, very protective of his wife and kids.

As a group they'll wander through the grass, all hunting for food. Except Dad. More often than not he hops up onto the BBQ in the middle of our grassy area and he looks for danger. When he's not up in the "high ground" he's down among the family, running from front to back, always checking for predators, always keeping his guard up so that everyone else can have lunch with a sense of peace. I see him every now and then grab a bug, or worm while he's on the job, but he never lets down his guard while the family is out in the open.

I admit, I'm humbled by this bird. What a roel model to being a caring and protective dad. Sacrificing of himself to make sure that his family is okay. I hope that if someone were to observe me from afar they might see a similar committment to my family, but would they? This week, I'm inspired to try and be more like this father quail I see. And, I'm more committed than ever to not go hunting :)


Don't go to Church, be the Church


Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment