Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A tale of two Funerals

Sorry it's been awhile since I've posted anything. It's been kind of a tough week for a variety of reasons. Two of those reasons are that I had the honor of participating in a funeral last Wednesday, as well as one again today. Last week I officiated at a funeral for a wonderful, dear lady that I had got to know in my role as Pastor for the last few years. She was over 90 years old, had a wonderful family, and believed strongly in Jesus. I think most of us wouldn't mind going out that way.
Today I had the chance to speak at the funeral of a good friend of mine, Jerry. Jerry was just over 40 and is survived by his wonderful bride and 3 amazing, young kids. And Jerry also believed strongly in Jesus.
Being a Pastor I've helped in a lot of funerals, and it is always a humbling honor to do so. But the one for Jerry today was pretty hard. I was his pastor for a long time, but really I was more his friend. And his is the kind of story where it's easy to get mad at God at how unfair life can be sometimes.
But Jerry just wouldn't allow that. Jerry loved Jesus too much. His concern wasn't on squeezing out a few more years here, because he knew that he has and eternity with Jesus in heaven. And although he has to wait for his wife and kids to join him, it will be in the blink of an eye before they're all reunited as a family. They trust and hope in that promise, and so do I. It's what allowed Jerry to live his life to the full, even though it wasn't nearly long enough (in my opinion).
So, today I am reminded that our lives in this place are varied, and wonderful, and they are hard and difficult. There is joy and there is sorrow. But whatever comes, however many years we have, we are reminded that this world is not our home. My two friends Lilllian and Jerry are two of the newest residents of our true home that awaits us in heaven. I'm sure they're having a wonderful time already. And I too will have to wait patiently until I get to see them both again. But I will praise Jesus for that promise offered to me, and to you.

Pastor Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment