Monday, June 22, 2009

Ephesians

So, if you were in church this last weekend you heard me introduce our book of the Summer: Ephesians. And, you heard me make the case that I believe Paul is the actual author of Ephesians, an opinion not held by all Christian scholars. So, what's the deal?
First, let me say that those who doubt the authorship of Ephesians and other letters attributed to Paul in the New Testament are still usually Christian. It is possible to disagree on this, and other issues regarding the Bible, and still see each other as Christian. Sometimes the views are too divergent, but simple authorship over books I don't feel is one of them. After all, God is the author of it all, so the earthly author doesn't matter quite as much.
However, with all of that said, I do think Paul is the author. Why is the question even raised? For some good reasons actually. Many early manuscripts we have of this letter don't even include the words "in Ephesus" in verse 1 of chapter 1. This actually plays to my belief that this was a circuit letter, meant to be read by various churches. But wait, there's more.
The big reason people doubt this letter (and a few others) to be actual Paul is in the differences. When you compare the phrases, and even the Greek language, used in Ephesians with that in Romans, or 1 Corinthians, or Philippians (books just about everybody agrees were written by Paul) there are subtle differences. Paul emphasizes words or phrases in some letters that he doesn't emphasize in Ephesians. And then, again, there is the lack of personal references in Ephesians, which can seem unusual for a place he spent so much time in.
So, what do you think? I've got some ideas, but I'd thought I'd start with all of you. Got any opinions on Ephesians, and why it may sound a little different from other letters? Does it matter to you if Paul is the actual author, or rather it was a Christian Disciple influenced by Paul who wrote this many years later? The floor is yours.

Pastor Bill

2 comments:

  1. As to the difference in emphasis and tone, two things come to mind:
    First, I don't speak now the same as I did 10, much less 20 years ago. Our language evolves, and I would think even more so with the travelling Paul did.
    Secondly, Paul had a habit of speaking in ways that connected directly to his audience. He would pick up on images and concepts that would resonate with those in the community around. That's one of the things that made him so powerful a preacher. So here we have another example of that, and if your supposition is correct that this was meant as a general circulation letter, the lack of personal notes would be a style that would make it more accessible to a broader group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I'm among the crowd of "it doesn't matter" folks. The book encourages us to live a godly life and to live in harmony in God's family. It's the content that matters in this case, not necessarily the author. But then again, maybe I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete