Monday, November 29, 2010

Lightsabers and Wands

So, I had the chance to watch Harry Potter 7 over the long week.  It was a snowy week here in Washington and I had to get out and do something with the boys.  Or, at least, that's what I told Sarah.  And Harry Potter was an excellent choice.
If you're looking for a movie review, here's a bit of one.  I thought the movie was brilliant.  I think David Yates, the Director of the movies since HP 5 is by far the best director yet.  Each Director did well with what they were given, but David Yates has stopped just turning out "Good Harry Potter" movies and is turning out Good Movies.  These last three movies remind more of the Lord of the Rings trilogy from that standpoint.  A fantastic combination of source material, great cast, and excellent production.  And I can't believe we have to wait until July to see part 2!
A couple of notes along with that.  Is this a movie for kids?  Yeah, if your kid has read the book they're not going to see too much that will bother them more.  The visual of Nagini is pretty creepy.  And the scene of Hermione getting tortured was actually fairly disturbing.  But, again, J.K. Rowling did such a good job with those moments in the book I would say if your child has read those scenes, they can probably see those moments.
But the bigger, philosophical question many Christian families ask is: should their kids watch this movie?  Much has been made about the magic/Witchcraft connection of Harry Potter and the Bible's clear prohibition about dabbling with that type of stuff.
As a parent, I certainly don't want to argue that a kid has to see Harry Potter.  Yeah, they're really well written books, and well done movies, but there are lots of good books and good movies I don't need to let my kids read and see because I disagree with their content (No child should be subjected to Grease 2 as an example.  Wow, what a stink bomb of a movie.  Oh, and the morals are questionable too :) )
But, as a Christian parent let me be clear that I've let my kids read the Harry Potter series, we own the movies, and I've read and watched all of them myself.  My thoughts on this comes from a couple of things. 
First, I don't discount the Bible, but I see a big distinction between Magic and Witchcraft being part of a story and actually trying it myself.  When I watch movies about the Mafia it doesn't mean I'm going to change my name to Fat Tony and start conducting my business in the basement of a bar.  I am able to separate the two things, and I want to teach my kids they can do the same.
And, on a related note, my kids are exposed to magic all over the place.  There's magic in the above mentioned Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and in the Narnia books.  And, if you've ever watched Star Wars just trade the Lightsabers for Wands, and call The Force "magic" and you'll see it's really no different from Harry Potter on that issue.
Do I ban all such magic related pop culture from my house?  My response is no.  When I watch and read Narnia, or LOTR, or Star Wars, or Harry Potter I see the same things.  I see good triumph over evil.  I see heroic sacrifice.  I see friends laying down their lives for others.  I often see great, relatable Christian ideas - whether that was the authors intent or not.  That's just how I'm wired.  I see Jesus everywhere.  And I think He's pretty glad about that.
So, I want to instill the same gift in my kids.  If something is truly irredeemable (I'm looking at you G-Force.  Super hero rodents.  Really?) I see no need to support it.  But much of pop culture can be seen in a variety of ways.  I choose to err on the side of Grace.  And fun.

Don't go to church, Be the Church

Bill

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill,

    I was a little bit offended that you referred to the Force as magic. I don't think you gave a proper nod to the Midi-chlorians. :-)

    I enjoyed the blog. Take care,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete