Monday, November 1, 2010

116 - 3

You may have noticed a decent gap between my last post and this one.  That's because I try to maintain the blog a little more during the summer months, as a way of checking in on things when so many of us are out and about.  But, I'll try to do a few new pieces throughout the Fall and Winter as well just to keep you all intereted :)
And this weekend, what better way to spark your interest than 116 - 3.  I knew it was a bad weekend for Washington Football, but until a friend posted that on his Facebook status I didn't realize just how bad it was.  The Huskies, Cougars, and Seahawks all lost this past weekend by a combined score of 116 - 3!
Seriously.
What do you do with that?
First off, I've got to say that as a guy who never played a lick of "real" football, I certainly hand it to our guys for going out there and playing week in and week out - taking a physical punishing I can only imagine.  300 pound linemen don't try and hit me when I play Tennis or go Sowboarding you know.
But, as an interested observer, it's hard to not to question what's going on with the players and the coaches.  I guess, I think we just start to to all become experts in something that we spend that much time watching.  Or at the very least, something that we're invested in.  And, let's face it, there are a lot of Americans invested in Football.  I'm willing to bet (I hope I'm wrong, but this is still my hunch) that more Americans watched Football on Saturday and Sunday this weekend than went to church.  They probably spent more on Footbal related stuff too.  Now, that's an investment.
So, after 3 good old fashioned poundings, what do you do?
I"m thinking that we need to remember, that it's just a game.  Yes, it's an industry that is responsible for Billions of dollars.  Yes it's their jobs, and our work ethic means we should all strive for our best every day in whatever we do.  But, it's still just a game.  So, three of my favorite teams lost their games this last weekend.  It was frustrating.  It was annoying.  But, did anything bad really happen?  No lives were lost, no wars were started.  And, after it was all said and done: I played with my kids, went trick-or-treating, played Crazy Eights with Princess cards with my daughter.  Those were the things that mattered to me this weekend.  Those memories will last a lot longer than the bad football ones, as well they should.
So, I hope you had a great weekend.  I hope your favorite team won a game somewhere.  But, I hope you also were reminded this weekend of what matters in your life.  And what really doesn't.  Who knows, you may get the chance to remember it again next weekend.  After all, the Huskies are playing the Ducks!

Don't go to church, Be the Church!

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment